There is power in the words we speak, both positive and negative. The spiritual realm is waiting to act on what is said. “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit” (Prov. 18:21).
We’ve all had people gossip, slander and speak against us. I remember praying one time, and the Lord instructed me to pray against word curses people had spoken over my life. In the spirit, I saw swords coming out of my spine from all the assignments those words put in the spiritual atmosphere around me.
Jezebel, the strongman spirit of control is a dangerous, vindictive, evil spirit that comes against Christians to attack their prophetic destiny. I think most of us could say we have been in a relationship with someone who has exhibited a Jezebel spirit. What have you done to break those word curses and the demonic assignments off your life? “The thief does not come, except to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). Have you taken time in prayer to rebuke and take authority over that which the thief has come to steal, kill and destroy? Are you living the abundant life? Could something from your past or a Jezebel spirit be attacking you?
I remember, as a child, my mother warning me and putting her fear of storms, hazardous weather conditions and medical worry on me. I had to fight the thoughts that plagued my mind. It took me years to overcome being afraid of driving on snow; hating wind, thunder and lightning; and not trusting God for my health. As an adult, I would still hear those words and thoughts in my mind, and they would control my actions. I would choose to not drive on the snow; I was fearful of storms, still hearing my mom say, “Batten down the hatches, a storm is coming.”
One day, the Lord showed me the spirit of Jezebel is like a demonic cloud hovering over your mind. It is still pulling you and triggering controlling thoughts. Until you break the word curses, you will be in submission to that spirit of control.
Are there thoughts that still plague your mind from someone who was trying to control you or destroy your prophetic destiny? What about people who are in competition with you?
Unfortunately, we know the world can be competitive, jealous and critical, even Christians and the church. Have you ever considered that your destiny is stalled or you are experiencing more warfare than is normal because there are words in operation in the spiritual realm that need to be broken down and destroyed?
Canceling these assignments starts with forgiving anyone who has ever spoken against you and then repenting of any negative words you have spoken about anyway.
Breaking the Power of Jezebel’s Words
- Rebuke and renounce all words spoken against you, your family, business or ministry. Say out loud “I rebuke, break agreement with and renounce word curses and spiritual assignments that have obstructed the spiritual realm around me and put up roadblocks, hindrances, delays and detours on my assignment in Jesus’ name.”
- Break off all word curses. Speak aloud, “I cancel all word curses and attacks from the enemy in Jesus’ name.”
- I cancel all assignments of the enemy to steal, kill, and destroy my life, health, family, business, ministry and finances. “The thief does not come except to steal and kill and destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10).
- Speak Isaiah 54:17 over your life. “No weapon that is formed against [me] shall prosper, and every tongue that shall rise against [me] in judgment, [I] shall condemn.”
- Bind the words of those who speak negativity over you. Declare to bind their tongue, mouth, lips and voice box from speaking negative words, gossip, slander and anything that does not edify, exhort or build up. Say “Lord, I bind negative word curses from going out and activating against me, in Jesus’ name.” “Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven” (Matt. 18:18).
- Pray for the person(s) and ask the Holy Spirit to convict them and expose them. You are asking Him to convict them of sin and their words and to expose their motives and behaviors, so others see their impure intentions so that additional people don’t get hurt as a result of what they speak out.
- Keep your tongue from evil. Your prayers are most effective when you are not in sin. You can’t break something off your life you are putting on others.
Finally, be all of one mind, be loving toward one another, be gracious, and be kind. Do not repay evil for evil, or curse for curse, but on the contrary, bless, knowing that to this you are called, so that you may receive a blessing. For “He who would love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit. Let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it” (1 Pet. 3:8-11).
- Declare out over your life, “There shall be no evil befall you, neither shall any plague come near your tent” (Ps. 91:10).
Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal anything else that needs to be annihilated in the spiritual realm. Expect Him to reveal Jezebel’s assignments and believe that through your power and authority, these things are removed from your life. Spend time renewing your mind and capturing any stray thoughts.
Search your heart and remove bitterness and resentment from people who operated in a Jezebel spirit. Ultimately, remember to love the person but dislike the personality. In my book, Speak Out, learn the power we have when we speak out, and for further deliverance, see Discerning and Destroying the Works of Satan.